Geneva talks: Syria opposition

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov

 
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says setting a timeline for the long-awaited Geneva II Syria talks has failed so far due to the obstacles created by Syria’s foreign-backed opposition.

November 8, 2013

“We have currently not been able to reach agreements during discussions of practical issues, including the dates and other organizational aspects, primarily because the [Syrian] opposition is not ready to accept invitations to the conference without preconditions,” Lavrov said on Friday. 

The Russian official noted that the Syrian opposition has been calling for the ouster of Syrian President Basher al-Assad government before joining the negotiating table, a demand which would be in contrast to former agreements. 

“This contradicts the Russian-US initiative which envisions the convocation of a conference without any preconditions for full fulfillment of the tasks outlined in the Geneva Communiqué of June 30, 2012,” he stressed. 

Lavrov criticized the so-called Syrian National Coalition of Revolutionary and Opposition Forces for asserting demands as the only representative of the Syrian people, while failing to represent even a majority of the groups opposing the Assad government. 

Separately, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said the opposition coalition had refused to attend an unofficial meeting with the Syrian government officials in Moscow. 

The Russian initiative, Lukashevich said, had “received an active and positive response among a number of opposition group leaders.” 

“Unfortunately, the Syrian National Opposition and individual leaders who consider it a counterproductive ploy are blocking it and refusing to participate,” he added. 

The Moscow meeting had been hoped to help resolve the humanitarian crisis in Syria, which has been plagued by a deadly conflict fueled by foreign-backed militants. 

MRS/AB

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/11/08/333692/syria-opposition-blocking-talks-russia/

About kruitvat

I am working for the Belgian human rights association 'Werkgroep Morkhoven' which revealed the Zandvoort childporn case (88.539 victims). The case was covered up by the authorities. During the past years I have been really shocked by the way the rich countries of the western empire want to rule the world. One of my blogs: «Latest News Syria» (WordPress)/ Je travaille pour le 'Werkgroep Morkhoven', un groupe d'action qui a révélé le réseau pornographique d'enfants 'Zandvoort' (88.539 victims). Cette affaire a été couverte par les autorités. Au cours des dernières années, j'ai été vraiment choqué par la façon dont l'Occident et les pays riches veulent gouverner le monde. Un de mes blogs: «Latest News Syria» (WordPress)/ Ik werk voor de Werkgroep Morkhoven die destijds de kinderpornozaak Zandvoort onthulde (88.539 slachtoffers). Deze zaak werd door de overheid op een misdadige manier toegedekt. Gedurende de voorbije jaren was ik werkelijke geschokt door de manier waarop het rijke westen de wereld wil overheersen. Bezoek onze blog «Latest News Syria» (WordPress) ------- Photo: victims of the NATO-bombings on the Chinese embassy in Yougoslavia
This entry was posted in Geen categorie and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s